Marry a foreigner

2 Answer(s)




The Special Marriage Act, 1954 is applicable for Indians who do not wish to get married under the different personal laws applicable in India. This legislation was introduced with the objective of providing a secular option for marriage and is often used by individuals for inter-religion marriages. This Act allows Indians to marry foreigners as long as one of the parties are Indian citizen. For marriage under the Special Marriage Act, you will have to approach the Marriage Registrar in your area. Both the parties will have to fill the Intent to Marry form and provide documents for age proof and address proof to the Registrar. The Registrar will allot a date on which he will verify the copies of the documents submitted to him. The date of marriage can be fixed after one month from the submission of the documents. The actual marriage ceremony before the Registrar will require the presence of three witnessess. The Registrar will issue the Marriage Certificate 15 days after the date of marriage.

Answered on December 30, 2016.
Add Comment

You can marry Foreigner in Special Marriage Act but the proceedure of the said marriage is lengthy therefore it is advisable to take help of expert to comply with all the requirement of marriage legally.

Answered on January 4, 2017.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.