Challenging the order of the Censor Board

What is the process of challenging the order of the Censor Board of not granting certificate to a movie?

Asked on February 23, 2017 in Appeal.
Add Comment
1 Answer(s)

The Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) is a  statutory body and is regulated by the provisions of THE CINEMATOGRAPH ACT, 1952 .Section 5C of the Act lays down the procedure for challenging the order of the censor board in the following circumstances –

When the censor board

(a) refuses to grant a certificate;

(b) grants only an “A” certificate;

 (c) grants only a “S” certificate;

 (d) grants only a “UA” certificate;

(e) directs the applicant to carry out any excisions or modifications

Any person who applies for a certificate in respect of a film and is aggrieved by any order of the Board may within thirty days from the date of such order file an appeal to the Tribunal. Film Certification Appellate Tribunal also known as the FCAT is established in New Delhi which hears all the appeals against orders passed by the CBFC.

An appeal is made in the form of a written petition with a brief statement of reasons for appealing against the order and fees up to one thousand rupees.

Answered on March 4, 2017.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.