alien parties opposing to adjournment application

One fine day when Appellant was out of city to appear in person, in High Court, an adjournment was filed by Appellant through his pairokar/counsel! The said adjournment application by opposed in writing, by 2 persons; 1st one is not even a party in the appeal and 2nd, an advocate who never filed his wakalatnama in appeal; pursuant to which a coercive order was passed against the appellant which has made irreparable loss to the appellant! Does this conduct of the 2 persons opposing the appellant's application in writing and signing on the order sheet too, amount to contempt of court? I am the appellant and want to make some action against those persons! I have already filed administrative complaint against the concerned judge, on which notices have been issued to him from CJ High Court and CJI! What can be done against those 2 persons, who opposed and signed on order sheet, even though they are alien to the appeal! Please guide…

Asked on September 12, 2013 in Corporate Law.
Add Comment
1 Answer(s) – United Bank of India v. Satyawati Tandon – Union of India v. Ram Saran

Such a coercive order given by the Court is not supported by the law and you do have a strong possibility of getting recourse against it. Not only was the order against you given in response to an application by members who weren’t even a party to the suit and/or had not submitted a vakalatnama.

The fastest way to get relief in this case is to file a writ of certiorari or mandamus against the coercive order at the High Court under Article 226 of the Constitution of India. Your legal counsel could also argue that your right to equality has been grossly violated by the Judge and the Court in passing such an arbitrary and unjust order. This will not only allow you to request the High Court that the coercive order be set aside or reversed but you may also claim reliefs for any damage that you may have suffered due to the order.

You will find support in this regard with the abovementioned Supreme Court cases that deal with similar situations. Since I am not aware of the exact nature of your case and the laws involved, the particular laws in the case might differ.



Answered on September 16, 2013.
Add Comment

Your Answer

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.