Ravishankar Chaurasiya
Asked April 02, 2017

Wife not willing to stay with inlaws

  • 1 Answer

My marriage date is 11 May 2014, my wife doesn't want to stay with my family. I do not agree for that.She is telling that, she wants divorce, what should I do?

Answer 1

In a very recent case[1] of October 2016, Supreme Court judges, Justice Anil R Dave & Justice L. Nageswara Rao granted divorce to a man whose wife refused to live with in-laws as it is considered an act of cruelty before law. The Bench observed: “In normal circumstances, a wife is expected to be with the family of the husband after the marriage. She becomes integral to and forms part of the family of the husband and normally without any justifiable strong reason; she would never insist that her husband should get separated from the family and live only with her…. If a wife makes an attempt to deviate from the normal practice and normal custom of the society, she must have some justifiable reason for that and in this case, we do not find any justifiable reason, except monetary consideration of the Respondent wife. In our opinion, normally, no husband would tolerate this and no son would like to be separated from his old parents and other family members, who are also dependent upon his income.”

Hence you too can apply for divorce and the chances of you paying maintenance to your wife would be least


[1] Narendra v. K. Meena (civil Appeal no.- 3253/2008)

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.