Asked August 03, 2016

Threat to sue me for another's misdeeds

  • 1 Answer

My father went missing on Dec 1, 2015. I lodged a missing complaint on Dec 2, 2015. After a few days, it came to my knowledge that he has borrowed money from a neighbor(illegal moneylender) and gave cheques in that context. Now after approximately 7 months, he is threatening us(me, mother & sister) that we are hiding the truth and he has tapped all phone conversation & it has been recorded(via Tapping). He is threatening us sue case for cheating along with the cheque bounce case. What steps should I take ?

Answer 1

There are two aspects to your problem. The first one regarding the validity of the contract with the moneylender and second, whether the moneylender could legally tap your telephonic conversations.


1. Contract with the illegal moneylender.


Illegal moneylender means a moneylender who does not have the required license to deal in this business. Such an act of illegal money lending is illegal and an is also an offence.Although there are no central legislation governing this issue, there are many State laws regarding the same. Some of them are Bombay Moneylenders Act, Hyderabad Moneylenders Act, Orissa Moneylenders Act and so on. If the State you reside in has a legislature regarding this issue, then addressing your problem becomes much easier.


Apart from the fact that the illegal money lending itself amounts to an offence, the contract entered by your father and the moneylender is itself void. Since the content of the contract is forbidden by law, the contract is void ab initio (from the beginning)Therefore the moneylender cannot enforce the contract in the court stating that there was a breach of contract. 



2. Tapping of phone is illegal.


Tapping of phone without permission from the required authority is illegal. As in this case, necessary permission was not taken, his action of tapping the phone is illegal. Provisions of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 and Indian Telegraph Rules, 1951 lays down the rules. Only the Central government and State government has the authority to order tapping of a phone is national security is concerned or gather intelligence reports. The Court can also grant permission as per the necessity of tapping. However, without such permission, no one is allowed to tap others telephonic conversations. Such persons can be penalized as per the above mentioned Act.


In my opinion, you should report the incident to the police. As the money lender is more at fault, if the suit is filed, the decision is more likely to be in your favour.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.