Suman Haldar
Asked February 10, 2017

Rules for distribution of alcohol in Maharashtra

  • 1 Answer

What are the different rules for the distribution of alcohol in Maharashtra?

Answer 1

How to Obtain an Alcohol Permit in Maharashtra, India


  • Purchase a Rs 10 court stamp fee. You can get it from any court or at the Asiatic Town Hall near the collector's office.
  • Go to the permit issuing office. In Mumbai, you need to go to the Old Customs House (Collectors Office) at Fort area in South Mumbai. Also regional excise offices in Malvani (Malad West), Andheri, Bandra and Chembur have this facility available.
  • The application form is available for free. Fill the application form with your name, date of birth, age, occupation, and address.
  • Hand the clerk the application form, your photographs, Photo id and Address proof like Passport and Driving licence and the necessary fees depending on the licence type.


How to Be a Liquor Distributor

  • All distribution companies must have warehouse space to store the products.
  • Apply for a license to wholesale liquor with your Maharashtra department of taxation. You must obtain a special permit to store and transport alcoholic beverages within the state. You may be required to undergo a background check, and there may be an extended time frame, such as six months, before you are approved for a liquor wholesaler’s permit or license.
  • Apply for a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS using Form SS-4. Most businesses with employees, including corporations and partnerships, must register for an Employer Identification Number. 
  • Apply for a permit with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) to operate a business as an alcohol wholesaler. TTB grants permits to companies desiring to operate alcohol and tobacco businesses above the retail level. These beverage and alcohol businesses are governed by the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (FAA Act) and the Internal Revenue Code (IRC).


Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.