Asked February 05, 2017

Retain maiden name post marriage

  • 1 Answer

If due to documentation I have changed my surname after marriage and I want to retain my maiden name ( even though I am still married ) is it possible, if yes what is the process?

Answer 1

The Supreme Court has recently affirmed that it is the right to identity of a woman to preserve her maiden name after marriage. You may retain your maiden name by applying and registering your marriage certificate with the original name. Then you may submit an affidavit stating that you want to stick to your original name after wedding to the registrar of marriages. This affidavit must contain all the details of you and your husband and be attested by 2 witnesses. Lastly once this is done and it is accepted by the registrar you may publish this in any local daily.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.