Asked August 12, 2016

Requirement before purchasing new land

  • 1 Answer

I am planning to purchase a land in Jodhpur. But there have been a lot of cases of fraud in land purchase etc. Before I buy anything I want to ensure : a) The person seling that land is the actual owner of that land. b) The land has not been sold to multiple persons c) Land is legally residenial i.e. not play ground, agriculture etc. d) Any other thins or document that we need to check for verification. Please answer soon. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Answer 1

Default avatar
Shreya Mishra

Before buying property it is important that you check certain things. The first would be to check for the title of the owner. A search of the records at the sub-registrar's office may be carried out for documents that may affect the property and may have been registered .The report will show the recorded owner of title of the property and changes in the title of the property. If the land is an agriculture land then adangal/pahani/khata of that land or/and Pattadar Passbook and Title Deed can be requested from the seller.Assessment Register Ledger entry (called Khata in some parts of the country) is basically a supporting document of title. It is the entry of the present owner in the municipal/panchayat records relating to house properties. The absence of Assessment Register entry in the name of a current owner can be rectified at any time by applying for mutation.

There has to be some document which states how the property was inherited. You should try and check the documents which states how he got the property. Further always emphasise on original documents. You can also check for Tax receipts and bills. The taxes that would be made to the Municipal Corporations and verify if all the taxes  are paid upto date.

Following are the things required:


  • Original Land Deed of the current owner, known as the 7/12 document and also the previous owners with the proper names on the title.
  • An Encumbrance Certificate from the Sub-registrar's office for the last 30 years at least.
  • Release Certificate from the bank, stating that the loan on the land has been completely repaid.
  • Original property tax receipt and other bills relating to the plot.





Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.