Raghav Mahajan
Asked June 16, 2016


  • 1 Answer

Mera ek ladki se rishta hua tha feb 2016 mei par hum ek dusre ko 5 saal se jante hai aur hamara rishta hone se pehle hum dono ek dusre ke sath ghumte the aur hum outings pe bhi gaye aur sath mei hotels mei rahe aur maine as a fiance uske upar bahut paise kharch kare but ab june 11 uske parents ne rishta karne se mana kar diya aur na wo ladki baat kar rahi hai to kya mai legally unke upar case file kar sakta hu bcoz usne mujhe use kara paise ke liye

Answer 1

There are some possibilities of a legal recourse::

1. Suing for not fulfilling her promise to marry you:

You will need to prove, via evidence, the following:

  • That she promised to marry you in the past
  • That you made some changes to your life, or acted based on that promise
  • That it led to some monetary loss

If all these conditions are fulfilled, there might be a chance for you to sue her for "breach of promise to marry". 

Please note that it has been seen that Courts award only damages (compensation) in such cases, and does not order the parties to marry each other. Moreover, the success of these cases has only been seen in cases where parties were engaged to each other, and after that one of them refused to go ahead with the marriage.

(We do not know if by "rishta hua" you mean an actual engagement ceremony or just talks of a possible marriage)

2. You can file a case under section 415 of the Indian Penal Code, for "cheating", on the grounds she cheated you into having a relationship with her and spending money on her, and is now not ready to marry you. 

An explanation of the section (as applicable in your case) are as follows:

415. Cheating.— When a person, fraudulently or dishonestly induces another person to do something which he would not do otherwise, and such an act causes or is likely to cause damage or harm to that person in body, mind, reputation or property.

However, we must warn you that the success rate of such cases is quite low, especially if an actual engagement ceremony has not yet taken place. This is because you have to prove that what you did based on her promise to marry, caused damage to your mind and reputation. This is not an easy task. There is a high risk of her lying to the court, especially if your evidence is not strong enough. Though lying to the court under oath is a crime, it is possible. Moreover, it is quite difficult to prove the existence of such a promise, especially if there was nothing written, no video proof of her promise, etc.. And it is also difficult to successfully prove the disturbance of mind to the court.

If the girl is found guilty of Cheating, then the court will only be able to order with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to one year, or with fine, or with both. There is no guarantee of you getting a compensation for the ordeal.

Do also keep in mind Section 415 of the IPC is a criminal offence, so this will be a criminal case against her.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 6 years ago
  • Default avatar
    Raghav Mahajan
    Sir i have pics of us from starting till end all call details and where we use to live how much money i spent on her and when we got engaged i have pics of that also and every possible thing which can prove that she used me and stayed with me from last few months
    Agree 0 Agrees about 6 years ago

  • Default avatar
    In that case, you have strong evidence to back you up. You can choose whichever legal course mentioned in the answer you wish to take.
    Agree 0 Agrees about 6 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.