Dinesh Arya
Asked February 17, 2017

Procedure to start a non governmental organization

  • 1 Answer

Dear Sir, I want to establish a Social Welfare Group (a NGO) in Uttarakhand, which I wish will work in field of Education, Technical Education and Training for all the poor sections of society who can't afford financially, with the help of public and private fundings, donations etc. I also wish to build a bridge between government and Society, spreading awareness and providing help/support for participation in all the government initiatives and schemes. My basic question is- what should be the best method to start with? What type of organization should I establish? How to start with paperwork? Documents requirement?

Answer 1

NGOs in India are registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860, which is a central Act. Your NGO will be registered according to Section 20 of the Act. In India non-profit organizations can be registered as trusts, societies, or a private limited company, under Section-25 of Company’s Act. NGOs are self-governed by a 'board of trustees' or 'managing committee' comprising individuals who generally serve in a fiduciary capacity.

Before registering the organization, you need to have a governing body in place, that will be responsible for all activities and decisions of the organization.


A registration form, that is available without charge at the district registrar's office. Minimums of seven members are required for the composition of a managing committee. To register the Society or NGO at State level you will have to provide the ID proof of Seven Member's (DL | Copy of Passport | Voter ID). You will have to provide Two Members (President - Treasurar or Secretary - Treasurar) form Delhi and another Five Member's can be from any states. Two set of MOA of NGO or Society.


Documents Required for State Level :

  • ID Proof of Seven Members from the same state. (Voter ID/Driving License/Passport/Adhaar Card).
  • One address proof of office premises. (Electricity Bill/Water Bill/House Tax Reciept).
  • Name of the society/NGO
  • Authority letter duly signed by all the members of the managing committee
  • Copy of rules and regulations (Memorandum of association and rules and regulation0 certified to be a correct copy of original rules and regulations by at least three managing committee members. No stamp paper required for memorandum of association and rules and regulations.
  • A declaration by the members of the managing committee that the funds of the society will be used only for the purpose of furthering the aims and objects of the society. All members consent letters, authority letter that are to be signed by all the society members & the president are to be done on a affidavit, worth Rs.20/- stamp paper.
  • In a prescribed form (1A), you need to submit the application form to the registrar of companies for choosing the NGO name, along with a Rs.500/- fee. A choice of three names can be given so that the registrar can choose as per the name availability. After name availability, you need to write the application to the regional director along with the printed copy of memorandum. The memorandum should include promoters name and address, statement showing asset details, statement showing work description, consent of each members that application is made in their sound mind etc. The application is to be submitted to the registrar of companies.

All registered NGOs have to get their certificate of registration renewed after every five years. Raise funds through internal sources (membership fees, sales, subscription charges, donations, etc.) or grants-in-aid from the Government, private organizations or foreign sources. Inflow of foreign funds is governed by the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) 1976. Many NGOs are eligible for tax exemptions - be sure to check your eligibility status and file your application if the exemption applies to you.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.