Asked March 19, 2017

Procedure to get divorce

  • 1 Answer

I was married to my friend in a arya smaj mandir in April 2016. But due to family we are not able to continue our marriage. We have not lived together don't have any physical relation between us after marriage. How can we get divorce and how much time is it needed because I want to get rid of this as soon as possible. Can we get divorce without going to court?

Answer 1

As it has been just 11 months of your marriage you cannot go for divorce, but annulment. As per the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 a couple cannot go for divorce before completing a period of 1 year. You can either wait for 1 month i.e. till the date of your marriage or file for annulment.

If you are proceeding with divorce, as an option, following are the grounds as per section 13 of the Act on which you can apply divorce on:

Adultery: When your spouse is involved in any kind of sexual relationship outside your marriage. It is a criminal offence and you need to have a proof of it. Cruelty: If your spouse is causing you any kind of mental or physical injury that is in the form of - Torture Danger to life or health Not providing you with food or other basic facilities Desertion: If your spouse has left you and has not returned for 2 years. Renunciation– If your spouse has given up all worldly affairs by adopting a particular religious order. Not Heard Alive– If you or your family members have not heard from your spouse or your spouse has been missing for a period of 7 years, he/she shall be presumed to be dead. Conversion: If your spouse converts or adopts a different religion. Disease: You can file a divorce,  if your spouse is suffering from any of the  following health conditions: Mental Disorder: If your spouse is suffering from a mental disability that cannot be treated or cured and is unable to live as a couple. Leprosy: If your spouse is suffering from leprosy that is an incurable and life threatening disease. Venereal Disease– If your spouse is suffering from a serious disease that is easily communicable like AIDS or HIV.


After you have decided the ground of your divorce you need to know if the divorce is contested or mutual.

Mutual Divorce as per section 13-B You and your spouse agree on all issues, including property division, child custody(if any), and others. Because you are settling your issues amicably, the maximum time that will take to get a divorce is 1.5 years.


Contested Divorce You and your spouse cannot agree on one or more issues, therefore the court decides for you. It is a lengthier process and takes about 2-3 years

Your divorce petition will be filed in the District family court where:

Your marriage ceremony took place as per Hindu rituals, or You and your spouse lived/resided together, or Your spouse resides at the time of filing of the divorce, or Where you reside, if your spouse is living abroad or is presumed dead for a period of seven years or more.
Agree Comment 0 Agrees 1 day ago

Please login or Register to Submit Answer

Will ads
Don't have a Will ?

Create your free will online in less than 10 minutes.

Do you have a Will?
Why not create one now for free in under 10 minutes!

Get started now