Lawfarm Team
Asked May 25, 2016

Physical violence by Parents

  • 1 Answer

A girl disregarded her parents request to marry a boy selected by them. The parents got furious upon her disobedience and have stopped her from stepping out of the house and have forbidden her to pursue her education. She is regularly beaten up by her parents and is forced to do all the household work and live like servant. Can an acquaintance of the girl take some legal action against the parents ? What are the legal remedies available

Answer 1

As per Section 2 (f) of the Domestic Violence Act, 2005 which defines 'domestic relationship' the girl and her parent will be covered under by the Domestic Violence Act. Considering the facts given it is clear that the girl has been subjected to physical abuse which can be covered under Section 3 (a ) of the Domestic Violence Act and hence a complaint can be filed for Domestic Violence against the parents. As an acquaintance to the girl , you can inform the Protection Officer of your concerned locality as allowed under Section 4(1) of the Act. A Protection Officer is elected under Section 8(1) of the Domestic Violence Act by the State Government and has the responsibility to keep the aggrieved woman in safe custody and initiate legal proceeding against the offenders. The Protection Officer or the aggrieved woman can approach the Judicial Magistrate of the First Class or the Metropolitan Magistrate to take action against the offenders. If the Magistrate is satisfied that the incident is covered under Section 3(1) of the Act as per the evidence produced, then he can pass a variety of orders to protect the aggrieved woman. Therefore as an acquaintance, you can inform the Protection Officer to initiate the legal process to help the girl in this situation. 
Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.