Asked July 08, 2016

Payment of maintenance charges of property

  • 1 Answer

We had a land on which we did builder agreement on the ration of 60 & 40 and the construction of apartment completed in 2010.there are 4 flats and a shop on ground floor we sold out 3 flats and shop and in remain 1 flat we reside.There is no society in apartment and no one is ready to make society .since the time we sold flats and shop .the purchaser of flats and shop is not paying a single penny for maintenance charges since the time they purchased the property.we are bearing the charges of sweeper and the electricity of submersible motor.The condition of building is getting worse in the lack of proper maintenance .We ask them many times for maintenance charges but every time they made lame excuses and do all possible way so they don't have to pay the maintenance charges.Kindly help me out and tell me a way through which i can recover the maintenance charges from them from the time of their property purchase and none of them can rescue their self from paying the same.and also tell me on which ratio I should take maintenance charges.

Answer 1

Anubha Yadav

The best way to recover the maintenance charges is to form an Apartment Residential

Association where the office bearers can file a suit for recovery of maintenance charges to the

person who has no made no contribution. The represenative can issue a notice asking the

defaulting member to pay the maintenance in time together with interest and a penalty. If the

legal notice also fails to produce the desired result the association can file a lawsuit for

recovery of money against the defaulters.

The second option that you have is to call for a meeting and propose the total costs and

charges and ask for their contribution. If they are still reluctant then you can also stop paying

the charges which will eventually cut their water supply and other services. You can let the

situation be till the time balance is also cleared.

The maintenance charges have to be taken in the ratio in which the money has been spent by

each member. Or in the equal ratio to that of the ownership.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.