Sai Nirup
Asked April 05, 2017

Name change reason

  • 2 Answers

My name is Sai. I want to change my name to Nirup Nanda. I don't want God's name in my name. Is it a convincible reason for name change in India.

Answers 2

As you must be aware that you need to follow 3 legal steps before changing your name:

  • Affidavit Submission: submit it to your local notary with specific reason as to why you are changing the same. In your case, the reason “don't want to have God's name in your name” is a valid reason
  • Ad Publication: take any 2 local newspaper and fill the following details
  • I, Sri ___________________ (old name) have changed my name from __________________ (old name) to ______________ (new name) by affidavit sworn before the Notary Public, ______________ (place) on ___________ (date). Henceforth, I shall be known as _________________ (New Name) for all purposes. ______________ (Name) and _______________ (Complete postal address).



  • Gazette Notification: take 2 copies of “Deed Changing Surname Form” to either a local Government Press or the department that mobilizes Gazette notification.
  • You need to send the following documents to the Secretary, Department of Commerce & Transport (Commerce), _________________ (State). 
    • Letter to the Secretary, requesting him to allow you to change your name.
    • The “Deed Changing Surname Form”
    • 2 True copies of the newspapers in which your name change statement is published.
    • Attested copy of the Name Change Affidavit.
    • A print out of the statement in plain paper that you need to publish in your official Gazette. (Generally Same as your Newspaper Statement)
    • A Copy of your current identity like your Voter Identity Card, PAN Card, Birth Certificate, School or College Certificates and etc.

    Change of name can be for any reasons be it personal preference or marriage or religious. But be sure to put forward the same in the affidavit in a convincing manner.

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

    U can change ur name with above mentioned reason nobody will object to it.

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

    Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

    Directory ads
    Need to talk to a lawyer?

    Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.