in Property Law
Asked July 09, 2021

Modifying a will

  • 1 Answer

I have made a will but I want to change some of the provisions in it. Can I cancel the existing will and make a new will?

Answer 1

Absolutely. Apart from revoking the existing will and making a new will, you can also just make alterations as well. Section 62 of the Indian Succession Act, 1925 provides for the same. Firstly, with regard to revocation, this can be done by drafting a document stating the intention to revoke a will. Alternatively, destroying a will and all copies of it would also mean that it would stand revoked. However, since in your case, as you just want to make a few changes, it would be easier to just alter the will. It is always the final draft of a will which will be valid. 

Agree Comment 0 Agrees 5 months ago
Consult Now

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.