Asked July 25, 2016

lost title deed

  • 1 Answer

Hi We are four brothers. We have a property of our mother which she got it from her adopted mother. Our mother and father had expired so we 4 brothers are the legal heirs. We do not have the title deed of our mother property and also no proper will had been written by her.It is a house. We are paying the municipal tax receipts for the past 10 years. Now we want to know how to proceed so that we can ensure that we can sell it in future.

Answer 1

Default avatar
Saumya Kumar
It is very important to get a title deed for your property. Even if you try to sell the property it will be difficult to sell it without the title deed. Therefore it is advised that you must procure the title deed for the said property. Generally, if the original documents are lost, the practice is to register a FIR and post an advertisement and submit them to the Government authority to issue a new title deed. You can apply before the Tahsildar for the Mutation Extract of the said property. The Mutation extract shows the inheritance certificate with details of previous owner, the present owner, the mode of acquisition of the property and the total extent of the property. As per the details the Mutation Extract will show that your mother as the last owner of the property. You can submit this Extract with your mother's death certificate to the Tehsildar. The death certificate will help you and your brother to establish their claim over the property and issue a fresh title deed from the Tehsildar after which you can apply for the Muatation again where you and your brothers will be registered as the owner. The title deed and the mutation extract will be enough for you and your brother to establish your ownership and sell the property subsequently.
Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.