Linto Antony
Asked March 16, 2017

Legal procedure to change surname

  • 1 Answer

I married a window and she is having 2 kids. I would like to know the legal steps to change child's surname as elder one will be in 10th next year and so it will be difficult once its on sslc certificate if it is not changed now. Wy wife's late.husband died due to illness. kindly suggest the legal procedure .thanks in advance..

Answer 1

To change the name of a minor, the guardian will have to get an affidavit attested by either first class Magistrate/Notary/Oath Commissioner. In the affidavit, the guardian will make a declaration of the change in the name of the minor with his own detials. After the affidavit, the guardian must publish an advertisment in the newspaper declaring his name address and the name of the child, both the old one and the new one. The advertisement must be published in a national daily and is often advised to published in local newspapers as well. Furhter, there is an option to publish the change in the name in the Gazette of India for which the Government of India has released specific guidelines and a format, available at

It is also possible to change a person's name after she/he turns 18. The process is similar where the individual himself will have to sign the affidavit and publish an advertisment in a newspaper. The role of the guardian will not be relevant if the person wants to change their name after they turn 18.



Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.