Asked September 15, 2016

Harassment by ex boyfriend

  • 1 Answer

My ex boyfriend has been harassing me through texts and calls for nine months.I have blocked his number but he calls me from different numbers everytime.He has my parents number and so he calls them also. He is saying that he will tell about my past relationship with my other boyfriends and about being intimate to my parents.He calls one of my classmate every now and then and it has caused so many problems , he won't just stop calling me,my parents and my classmate.He threatens me that his mom will call my mom and tell her everything and then I'll be dead after that.I thought of complaining to the police but this will involve my parents and I don't want my parents to know about my past relationships and being physically active. This has to stop ,because this is creating so many problems. I stay in fear everyday that my parents will come to know about my past and this has created so many problems.I don't know what to do.

Answer 1

Personally speaking, tell your parents, yourself, about your personal life. Sooner or later, one way or another, they will know. Right now, you need to fix your priority; what is important for you- hiding your personal life from your parents or getting rid of the troubles that are being caused by your ex-boyfriend?

Legally, you should begin by recording all the calls of your ex-boyfriend and documenting all his messages. Telling your parents is an important part of the legal actions against the culpable person because,

  • They will be ready for what is coming, and
  • With them on your side, your apprehension/chances of social embarrassment will only reduce.
  • You can file an FIR against the culprit under Section 503 of Indian Penal Code (IPC) for Criminal Intimidation. This entails a punishment of imprisonment of upto two years. Also, if the criminal intimidation is to impute unchastity to a woman, the duration of imprisonment is increased to seven years.

    Under Section 509, IPC, the culprit can be imprisoned for upto a period of one year for insulting the modesty of a woman. This section intends to protect the privacy. In a recent case, the court held that the modesty of a woman, under Section 509, does not lead only to the contemplation of sexual relationship of an indecent nature. It also includes other acts falling short of downright indecency.[1]


    [1] Swapna Barman vs. Subir Das, (2004) 1 GLR 168

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

    Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

    Directory ads
    Need to talk to a lawyer?

    Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.