Asked April 25, 2017

False allegations by wife

  • 2 Answers

 Hi, I am Avinash. I got married on Dec 10 2016, everything was okay for one month..after that her relatives started asking my parents to send her to their house for a few days, we have functions, etc. I and my wife attended some of the functions and they started giving more pressure to send her once in a week. we had some fights with them regarding this and they started lying that her mother/relatives health is not good. One day she went like that and when she came back, my father asked her why u saying lies to us. Then she went to bathroom and took phenyl and ran out of the house with paper and pen and tried to write suicide note and make a drama on streets,,we immediatley took her to govt hospital. There she gave complaint to police that my family was harrasing her. She was from small family, and that we abuse her, beat her and not give values to her, as a husband i do not listen to her. She said that I just listen to my parents and not take care of her. Very next day I talked with her  and she said take separate house, I wont live with your parents. I won't come to your house like that. Her mother also put complaint againt us, so what to do now. She made a false complaint, askng me to seperate from my parents and abusing them, making false allegations. Is there any way to teach her lesson. I don't want to seperate from family. How to protect us from her false allegations. How can we overcome this situation?

Answers 2


After going through your case, i would suggest you to first think why your wife is behaving in this way.

Thereafter when u want ur parents to be with u, then you will require to say that firmly to her relatives as well as ur wife.

If they make her understand this, then proceed for your married life, else you might have to file divorce..

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

The first thing you should do is to report the matter in the nearest police stay under section 309 of Indian Penal code. This way you’ll have better chances of getting yourself saved from a case of dowry death u/s 304B of Indian Penal code. You must collect as many evidence as you can (like video/voice recording or messages). Avoid having oral conversation. If your wife has messaged you anything regarding suicide or demand for staying alone, collect them all. Written evidence is far more valuable than oral evidence.

If you can get your neighbors to testify that your wife tried to create a scene and commit suicide then that will only help your case better. You can even record your wife’s conversation when she talks over the issue.

You can also apply for divorce to avoid long term harassment. In a very recent case[1] of October 2016, Supreme Court judges, Justice Anil R Dave & Justice L. Nageswara Rao granted divorce to a man whose wife refused to live with in-laws as it is considered an act of cruelty before law. The Bench observed: “In normal circumstances, a wife is expected to be with the family of the husband after the marriage. She becomes integral to and forms part of the family of the husband and normally without any justifiable strong reason; she would never insist that her husband should get separated from the family and live only with her…. If a wife makes an attempt to deviate from the normal practice and normal custom of the society, she must have some justifiable reason for that and in this case, we do not find any justifiable reason, except monetary consideration of the Respondent wife. In our opinion, normally, no husband would tolerate this and no son would like to be separated from his old parents and other family members, who are also dependent upon his income.”

Hence you too can apply for divorce and the chances of you paying maintenance to your wife would be least.


[1] Narendra v. K. Meena (civil Appeal no.- 3253/2008)

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.