E. D'souza
in Contracts Law Civil Law
Asked October 07, 2017

Electricity Bill registered in the name of the Buidler

  • 1 Answer

Sir, I had purchased a flat in 2009 and the sale deed was made in my name by the builder. But the electricity meter continued to be on the name of the builder, since I was about to sell the flat in the year 2012. While selling the flat the matter is stuck in court case , so now I am unable to sell till the matter is cleared. I have been receiving high bills from the Electricity department, I want to file a consumer complaint .Can I do so.? as the meter is in the builder's name ? Please advise with any judgment details. since I will be fighting this case myself

Answer 1


First of all, make sure that you have already applied to change the name for the flat bill and make sure that you have proof for proving the same. however, if they haven't responded that time then there is a process to make a complaint to the authority of that department. Now if the above-mentioned steps have been followed then you definitely you can file a consumer case for making them responsible for the problem you have faced to sell the flat and the compensation. Now you come under the definition of consumer which has been decided U.P. Power Corporation Ltd.& others V/s Anis Ahmad & others along with eight more cases of similar nature with the view that consumer forum can also hear electricity matters as an additional remedy available to consumers.



Jayant Garg

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.