A S Riyaz Ahmed
in Family Law Criminal Law
Asked July 18, 2017

Daughter harassed by in laws

  • 1 Answer

My daughter is doing Ph.D. and working as Asst. Prof in a reputed Engg college. Got married arranged by parents, her husband, father and other members told us that he is B. {mech} graduate and working in Sona ltd Chennai. We enquired in their areas and did marriage on Oct. 12 2014 and spent nearly 18 lakh by the parents. Later on my daughter came to know that he passed diploma only and not be and also not working. In the meantime, the parents took her half of the jewels and started torturing her to give her full salary. As she was working as Prof from far away of her husband house and due to parents torture both husband and wife themself decided to live separately near the college. For the past two years they were living happily. Her husband’s parents and sisters were giving torture through her husband. Her husband did not go to any work from the date of marriage. We have proof of our neighbors my daughter is highly educated and working as Prof, she did not care for her husband’s income, now his parents one month back kidnapped her husband and threatening my daughter to come and live with their parents and give all her income otherwise she may not go to the college and do domestic work as their will and to get money from her father who is a Central Govt employee in postal dept. and also threatening that they will arrange second marriage for their son my daughter wants only her husband should be with her . And needs nothing because her husband is forced by his parents and sisters for this thing as a prof she does not want to go to police station due to prestige problem kindly give a suggestion please we have taken all possible talks with them but in vain. Kindly give a suggestion at earliest. Father’s address a s riyaz ahmed b.com sub post master asiriyarnagar so tirupattur na tamil nadu 635601 phone 04179 227292

Answer 1




Dear Sir/madam,

In situations like these, there are two possible outcomes – one is to settle it amongst yourselves in a peaceful and amicable way or else the second being – approach the police or file a cass in the court of law. Prestige issue might come up in the second option available but the choice is yours.

Talking legally, you can approach the nearest police station and lodge an F.I.R. claiming domestic violence under Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 And Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code – which talks about woman being subjected to cruelty by her Husband and his relatives.

You can also file a case for causing mental harassment by the in-laws directly before the magistrate court taking the aid of the sections mentioned above. If doing all this does not help then you can file for DIVORCE as per the Hindu Marriage Act or Judicial Separation under HMA.

Furthermore, there are various NGO’s and government helpines working for the same cause, you can call them up and seek guidance for eg. STREEBAL : 26164113 and SAKSHI : 24623295, 24643946

Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.