Asked July 28, 2016

Date of Birth difference in documents

  • 1 Answer

Dob in my birth certificate is different from the metric certificate. I want to correct it legally.

Answer 1

Answer framed by Saurabh Kumar, Lawfarm Researcher:


Section 15 of the Register of Births and Deaths Act, 1969 authorizes the Registrar to correct the errors or cancel the entry of any birth or death if the same is erroneous in the form of substance or has been fraudulently or improperly made. But the provision contains many inbuilt safeguards. The section begins with the word “If it is proved to the satisfaction of the Registrar”. It shows that not only the error or fraud in the entry had to be proved, but also it should be proved to the satisfaction of the Registrar. In this respect the Registrar will have to scan the evidence in order to be satisfied. It will have to be established that the entry is erroneous in form or in substance or has been fraudulently or improperly made. The second safeguard is that the Registrar will have to act subject to the rules made by State Government with respect to the conditions on which and the circumstances in which such entries may be corrected. The rules made by the State Government for this purpose may require strict proof to substantiate any claim and may also require that the procedure should be strictly followed. The third safeguard is that the Registrar cannot alter the original entry but can only make the correction in the margin and sign the same giving the date of correction. Consequently the original date as well as the corrected date will remain side by side on the register and any certified copy of the said entry will contain both the dates.   

Thus, it is advised that you visit the Register of Birth and Death’s Office and submit an application under Section 15 of the aforementioned act. You are advised to carry other “proofs” i.e. official documents that have the “right” date of birth that you so claim.  In case your claim is denied yet again, it is advised that you take legal recourse and file a case in the lower court seeking urgent action.


Agree Comment 0 Agrees about 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.