Vishnu Pareek
Asked February 21, 2017

Correction of name in Certificates

  • 1 Answer

in my 10 cbse certificate one word misspelled in my surname,i have passed my 10 in 2010,my all document are can i correct it i can correct it by affidavit

Answer 1

According to the CBSE, correction in name (i.e. correction in spelling errors, factual errors, typographical errors in candidate's Name/Surname, Father's Name/Mother's Name) to make it consistent with what is given in the school record must be submitted within one year of the publication of the result.[1] The rule was amended in 2015, where the time limit was reduced from 10 years to 1 year.

CBSE also says that applications regarding change in name/surname will be considered only if the change has been permitted by a Court of Law and notified in a Government Gazette before the declaration of the result of the candidate.[2]

Recently, The Delhi High Court did not allow a student to change his name in the school records, due to the above rule. You can read about it here.

However, given that you passed the exam in 2010, and this amendment to the CBSE rule was in 2015, you might have a chance. You could try and apply for correction in your name. For this, according to the CBSE rules, you need:

(a) True copy of Admission form(s) filled in by the parents at the time of admission

(b) True copy of The School Leaving Certificate of the previous school submitted by the parents of the candidate at the time of admission.

(c) True copy of Portion of the page of admission and withdrawal register of the school where the entry has been made in respect of the candidate.

All of these should be attested by the Head of your school.





Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.