in Consumer Law
Asked June 22, 2021

Consumer Complaint

  • 1 Answer

I'm a member of a consumer association. Can we as an association file a complaint or should it just be the consumer who was wronged? Who can make a complaint relating to consumer issues at the dispute redressal commissions?

Answer 1

Yes, you can file a complaint as an association. Section 35(1) lists down who can file a complaint under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019. First and foremost, a consumer to whom goods or services were sold, delivered or provided can file a complaint as can a consumer who alleges unfair trade practice with respect to the said goods and services. Apart from the direct consumer, a recognized voluntary consumer association irrespective of whether the concerned consumer is a member of the association can file a complaint. The Central Government, State Government and a Central Authority can also do so. Also, there can be instances where more than one consumer can file a complaint by representing numerous consumers with the same interest. Further, in case of the death of a consumer, his legal heir or representative can do so and if the consumer is a minor, his parent or legal guardian can file a complaint. So in your case, proceed with filing a complaint as an association.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees 3 months ago
Consult Now

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.