Asked February 13, 2017

Cheating case against in laws

  • 1 Answer

i got married on 5th feb,2015, my husband died on 18 jan,2016. at that i was 9 months pregnant, i gave birth to a female child on 28th jan,2016. i am not getting any support from my inlaws. more over they cheated us in many ways, according to hindu tradition, horoscope is seen based on date of birth and timing, but they told wrong timing, we found this after the death of my husband, at the time of marriage also they told 600 members will attend the marriage but only 50 members attended the marriage. they said they have 3 crores property at that time but now they are telling they have debts. my husband was the only son of them. they also unwilling to return my dowry amount and gold to me, and not ready to give a single pie to her grand daughter also, they also harrassed me both mentally and physically. now i want put a cheating case and harrassment case against them. under which sections can i file a case against them. please suggest me.

Answer 1

Thank you for writing to us. Here's our response.



Dear Ma'am, firstly we are very sorry for your loss. Sadly, you cannot sue them for cheating with regards to the horoscope-matching or the number of guests or the claimed ownership of the property however, you can file a complain for maintenance for your daughter and harassment. While you can very well file an FIR for dowry and harassment (as its been just 2 years since your marriage took place), we would rather recommend you to go for mediation because a law suit may take more time and also, requires you to spend more money for every session in the Court, and we believe that you would be more interested in reaching a settlement within a short period of time in a more peaceful manner. Hence, unless your aim is to punish them rather than getting maintenance for your child we would recommend you to approach a nearby mediation centre. Mediation is a cheaper mechanism and the mediator after hearing both the parties will arise to a mutual decision. This is done in a more peaceful manner and shall be less time consuming. Kindly, let us know if you want to know further details of how to go for a mediation. 

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.