Asked December 24, 2016

Cheated in the name of giving job

  • 2 Answers

Sir/Madam, I posted my profile on and I received a shortlisting mail from one of the advertisers. Apparently it was a consultancy and they charged me 45,000/- as consultancy fees and provided me an offer letter from one of their client companies. After that they took 50,000/- from me and said it was refundable security amount( it was already mentioned in the offer letter). Since then they have been postponing my joining date in the company saying that there are some legal issues at the moment. And recently they have just stopped responding to me. All the agreement and conversation were done via e-mail so I have proof of the aforesaid issue. I am worried that I have been cheated. Please guide me how can I approach legally to retrieve my money. Thank You

Answers 2


It appears from your narrative that it might indeed be a case of fraud. you may either proceed on it as a civil case by filing a suit for recovery, or you could file a criminal case for fraud. If you have ample recipts and proof of payment trasnfer, and if some other partculars are available, a summary prcoeeding may also be possible. Ill require further details to give an elaborate opinion, but from the present details, it appears to be a clear cut matter.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago
  • Default avatar
    Hi, I can provide you the entire conversation thread via mail which contains all the details regarding the agreement and payments made to them. Please let me know how can I forward you the conversation thread.
    Agree 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

You have been cheated and Indian Penal Code provides with remedy for such cases. Please find below the relevant provisions:-


Section 415 in The Indian Penal Code

415. Cheating.—Whoever, by deceiving any person, fraudulently or dishonestly induces the person so deceived to deliver any proper­ty to any person, or to consent that any person shall retain any property, or intentionally induces the person so deceived to do or omit to do anything which he would not do or omit if he were not so deceived, and which act or omission causes or is likely to cause damage or harm to that person in body, mind, reputation or property, is said to “cheat”. 


Section 420 in The Indian Penal Code

420. Cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property.—Whoever cheats and thereby dishonestly induces the person de­ceived to deliver any property to any person, or to make, alter or destroy the whole or any part of a valuable security, or anything which is signed or sealed, and which is capable of being converted into a valuable security, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to seven years, and shall also be liable to fine.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 4 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.