Najir Khan
Asked November 07, 2016

Charges of taking dowry

  • 1 Answer

Sir mere bhai ki aaj shadi h. ladki wale hamare sehar ke hi ek marrige house me ladki ko lekar aane wale the but unhone aaj subh hi shadi se inkar kr diya aur police me complan kr diya ki ye 5 lakh rs. dahej me maag rhe h..sir ab ham kiya kre

Answer 1

The first possibility in this case will be that the case will be taken to the Court, basically, under Section 2 of the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961. The first thing which you should do is to keep the people, who have witnessed all the ceremonies and conversations between you and the opposite party, ready to testify for you. Since Indian criminal law is more woman-centric when it comes to domestic and marriage issues, witnesses and evidence are the only things that can save you. Personally speaking, it would be great if you could find someone from the bride’s side to testify your truth. Once you are able to prove that the opposition’s claims bear no truth, you may sue them for:

  • Pressing false charges, in the court, against you; [1]
  • Socially defaming you; [2]and
  • Causing you monetary loss owing to the preparations of the wedding from your side.
  • In this way, you will get justice as well as monetary compensation for all the material as well as mental agony that you had to go through.


    [1] Section 211 of the Indian Penal Code

    [2] /section 499 of the Indian Penal Code

    Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 5 years ago

    Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

    Directory ads
    Need to talk to a lawyer?

    Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.