Asked August 08, 2016

Can my Parents sue me?

  • 2 Answers

I am working in a public sector bank. I would like to marry as per my wish.but my parents didint accepting my love.And they demanding 10 lakhs INR which they had spent for my college studies.And they forced me to write in a blank letter that i will be given assurity and forced me to get out of home.And they tellimg me that if i marry as per my wish they will file a legal petition. If it is possible to file a legal case on me ,what should i do If petition is filed am i liable to pay ????

Answers 2

Hello Sir,

We will need more information. Our researcher has sent you emails seeking more information and clarification on this. Kindly check your spam folder in case the email has reached there.


Thank you for visiting Lawfarm!


Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 6 years ago

Since we do not know the details of this document that your parents have made you sign, we cannot predict the legal implications of signing it. But if it says that you cannot marry a certain person, such a contract would not be valid.

The Supreme Court has held the right to marry as a component of right to life under Art 21 of Indian Constitution, saying, “This is a free and democratic country, and once a person becomes a major he or she can marry whosoever he/she likes. If the parents of the boy or girl do not approve of such inter-caste marriage the maximum they can do is that they can cut off social relations with the son or daughter, but they cannot give threats or commit or instigate acts of violence and cannot harass the person who undergoes such intercaste marriage”. 

Note that there is no legal provision under which your parents could go to the court to make the court order you to marry according to their wishes.


There have also been no legal cases where parents have demanded their child/children to repay what they spent on their education.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 6 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.