Asked October 22, 2016

Bribe demanded

  • 1 Answer

We bought our first house (Flat) last year and we have to pay Property tax in Gram panchayat for the first time. People are asking for bribe to process the property tax and generate Property Tax Id (PTI). What can I do? Can you please advise?

Answer 1

You have a number of recourse options for it. Firstly you can file a complaint against the person who is asking for bribe to his senior.

Every department has their disciplinary n vigilance board, you can also lodge a complaint their. 

Lastly you can give him the bribe and record the same n then file n FIR against him u/s 23 (wrongful gain) &Section 409  of Indian penal code pertains to criminal breach of trust by a public servant. The public servant shall be punished with life imprisonment or with imprisonment of upto 10 years and a fine  and chapter 3 of prevention of corruption act, 2015 (amended). I think this must suffice your case. If you still want to proceed further then

The three main authorities involved in inquiring, investigating and prosecuting corruption cases are the Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the state Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB). Cases related to money laundering by public servants are investigated and prosecuted by the Directorate of Enforcement and the Financial Intelligence Unit, which are under the Ministry of Finance. 

The CBI and state ACBs investigate cases related to corruption under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and the Indian Penal Code, 1860. The CBI’s jurisdiction is the central government and Union Territories while the state ACBs investigates cases within the states. States can refer cases to the CBI. 

The CVC is a statutory body that supervises corruption cases in government departments. The CBI is under its supervision. The CVC can refer cases either to the Central Vigilance Officer (CVO) in each department or to the CBI. The CVC or the CVO recommends the action to be taken against a public servant but the decision to take any disciplinary action against a civil servant rests on the department authority. (available at

Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.