Lawfarm Team
in RTI and PIL Contracts Law Civil Law Arbitration and Mediation Constitutional Law Labour Law
Asked May 29, 2016

Being denied promotion

  • 1 Answer

I am working as Assistant Professor. Two faculty members of my institute have been redesignated as Associate professor with entitlement of pay & allowances. They completed their four years teaching experience required for re-designation to Associate Professor by including two years teaching experience from their previous institute. Similarly my previous teaching experience of three years and three months as Assistant Professor before joining this Government medical college should also be counted. I have written many applications with reminders but no response. What is the remedy?

Answer 1

For the post of Associate Professor, Medical Council of India has laid certain rules and guidelines in Qualifications for Teachers in Medical Institutions Regulations, 1998[1]. First requirement for holding the position of Associate Professor is- Experience as Assistant Professor/ Lecturer in Anatomy for Four years in a recognised medical college. Also, there are other pre-requisites too which must be fulfilled before being elevated to the desirous position you look for-
  • Minimum of two Research publications indexed in Index Medicus/national journals. Provided that these research publications are published/accepted for publication in the Journals by the National Associations/Societies of the respective specialities as the First Author. Further provided that the requirement of 2 research publications for promotion to the post of Associate Professor should be fulfilled with 2 research publication must be published during the tenure of the Assistant Professor.
  • If a DNB qualified candidate is working as Assistant Professor in a M.C.I. recognized college medical/Central institute, he/she would require one more year of teaching/research experience to be promoted as Associate Professor over and above the minimum time frame for MD/MS candidate.
  • The requisite experience for equating a Consultant or Specialist (after possessing postgraduate medical degree in the subject) working in the concerned specialty in the minimum 300 bedded ESI Hospitals as Associate Professor shall be more than 10 years with Two Research publication in indexed journal as Ist Author or corresponding author. Such Consultant or Specialist after joining a medical college shall be designated as “Associate Professor.
In Dr. M.C. Gupta and Ors. v. Dr. Arun Kumar Gupta and Ors., it was decided that the experience of from any private college or experience from any foreign university must be counted as a valid one. Therefore, please see if other requirements such as publishing research papers are met or not. Additionally, you can opt to file RTI online to the concerned department asking about your query on this link- If you think that you have completed all of the given requisites and still promotion is pending then you can write a letter/application to the Grievance Authority of your college asking for their stand. Likewise, you can also contact Medical Council of India through- Sector-8, Pocket-14 Dwarka, New Delhi-110077 Ph: 011-25367033, 25367035, 25367036 Fax: 011-25367024 Website: www.mciindia.Org. E-Mail: &   [1]     Researcher: Vidit Mehra
Agree Comment 0 Agrees over 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.