Asked November 07, 2016

Assault on me

  • 1 Answer

I need help. I was chased and hit on the road in front of my house. I am scared because the more I keep quiet, the worse it gets the next time. I don't want to hurt him but I have no choice anymore.

Answer 1

Is this a random person hitting you?

In that case, you can approach the police station and file an FIR against the person under Section 351 and 352 of the IPC which define Assault and lay out Punishment for it, respectively.


However, if this is your husband, then you have been the victim of Domestic Violence. Domestic Violence cases can be registered under the Domestic Violence Act as well as the Indian Penal Code (Section 498A).

You can approach a Police Officer, Protection Officer, and Service Provider or can directly file a complaint with a Magistrate. The court is required to take cognizance of the complaint by instituting a hearing within three days of the complaint being filed in the court. The Magistrate shall give a notice of the date of hearing to the Protection Officer to be served on the Respondent within a maximum period of 2 days. The court is required to dispose of the case within 60 days of the first hearing. If the complaint is found to be genuine, the court can pass a Protection Order, which stays in force till you apply for discharge.

Agree Comment 0 Agrees almost 5 years ago

Please Login or Register to Submit Answer

Directory ads
Need to talk to a lawyer?

Book a phone consultation with a top-rated lawyer on Lawfarm.